Ejla Kovačević [HR] & guests – GLITCH CINEMA
In the beginning there was noise – thus writes Rosa Menkman in her influential Glitch Studies Manifesto (2011), a work that laid the foundations for the critical exploration of art works that incorporate noise & error as a means to examine and interrupt the normative function of the image and the media itself.
These works do not only present pleasurable aesthetic objects (because, yes, dirty glitch can be indeed very pretty) – they also act as a magnifying glass drawing attention to the material basis of the technology used to reproduce moving images, whether it be celluloid, analogue video or digital apparatus.
Using various means to distort the recognizable imagery, they bring us exciting, vibrant, noisy and utmost dirty alternative visions that radically challenge the dominating clean, sterile imagery of contemporary digital cinema. As such, they pose fundamental questions regarding the political nature of technology, image and the reality itself.
The selection divided in three blocks will showcase 29 eye- & mind-bending contemporary audiovisual works that offer a journey through a myriad of creative & critical uses of glitch followed by the Q&A discussion with the artists.
▻ TUESDAY 04/10
Noisy dreamscapes intertwined with examinations of self & our relation to nature.
- Matteo Campulla – BE HERE NOW – the glitch of being in the society of continuous present
- Zsolt Gyenes – Perforated Dream
- Augurs – Seascapes & Shores: Guarajuba
- Jaime Munguia – THE DREAM OF THE DEMIURGE
- magiklantern – memory of a green world
- Artiom Constantinov – The cost of lies
- Jani Lamminmäki – Pink Cluster
- Claude Heiland-Allen – Flaking out
- Rudolf Lingens (writer + director), Sabato Visconti (glitch), Allison Tanenhaus (animation), King Green and Andrei Busuioceanu (score) – The Animal That Therefore I Am
▻ WEDNESDAY 05/10
Cognitive hyperactivity & existential abyss in the age of Mark Suckerborg.
- Benna v – d-rain the blur
- Death Orgone – Flesh Intolerance: Final Transmission For Terrestrial Vertical Incarceration (A hyperstition)
- Nazila – The PERPLEXITY
- Mohammad Abdollahzade – Anarchy
- 111v1ab – Operaio che legge durante una pausa di lavoro
- Andrew Edgar – Quasirandom Garagepunk Glitchscroller 2.0
- Deb – Neural Terrain
- Robert B. Lisek – FIELDS
- 1984.err – Query Error
- Nina Sumarac – E:SCOPE
▻ THURSDAY 06/10
Anthropocene madness meets nostalgia.
- JB Friquet – At the mountain of madness
- none – ANNIVERSAIRES (Birthdays)
- [sic][redacted] | Alan Page – comp4c70r
- Lavoslava Benčić – Pleurocarpous
- [DaVideo_Tape] – “A Murmur, A Scent” Music by Elrond
- Laura Ibañez – S/T1
- Augusto Calçada – Metaverso
- isorhythmics – Five against four
- Johann Philippe – Ultime Orgie
- John Bumstead – BSOTD099 (Broken Screen of the Day #99)
A freelance film critic, curator and independent/experimental cinema researcher. She’s a member of curatorial team at the International Experimental Film and Video Festival 25 FPS and a selection committee member at Belgrade-based International Analog Film Festival KINOSKOP.
Since 2011 she’s been active in the film labs community dedicated to the promotion and preservation of analog film practices. In Zagreb-based filmlab Klubvizija she organized numerous workshops, screenings and held lectures on experimental and photochemical cinema. As an Erasmus scholar she spent a semester working in filmmakers’ cooperative LIGHT CONE in Paris. She earned her MA in French Language at the Sorbonne Nouvelle University and is currently pursuing MA in Comparative Literature in Zagreb.